Breastfeeding 101: The New Mom’s Guide to Breastfeeding (Video Guide in Filipino)
“Doc, resetahan po ninyo anak ko ng gatas na pampatalino.” (“Doctor, prescribe milk that will make my child smarter.”) This is one of the most common requests we pediatricians hear from parents. As developmental pediatricians, we feel it is our duty to let parents know that breastfeeding is THE way to give milk that is not only “pampatalino”, but also boosts the child’s overall development (and protects the immune system too)!
We talk about breastfeeding together with maternal and child health consultant Dr. Lei Camiling Alfonso of the World Health Organization, UNICEF, and ILO.
Our video is NOT meant to judge or shame moms who are not breastfeeding. We understand how challenging breastfeeding can be! That’s why we made this video to help and support moms with practical tips. We talk about what family members can do to help mom (and what never to say to a breastfeeding mom!) We also talk about common myths like – “Walang gatas?” (“No milk?”) Do I need to measure how much my baby is getting?
This video is quite long and we know know busy breastfeeding moms are! Bookmark this page or save the video on Youtube so that you can refer back to it when needed. Feel free to skip to the part that you need the most.
- 2:06 Effect of breastfeeding on baby
- 3:30 Ano ang gatas na pampatalino?
- 8:54 Effect of breastfeeding on mommy
- 11:15 Breastfeeding tips from a lactation specialist
- 13:10 Ok lang ba na hindi nakikita na tumutulo ang milk?
- 14:19 Tip #1 – Moms need encouragement! Don’t tell the mom: “Wala kang gatas”
- 14:49 Tip #2 – You don’t need to pump at the start. DON’T measure the amount of milk.
- 17:13 How does the body form breast milk?
- 19:06 Tip #3 – Most effective way to increase breast milk: correct latch of the baby
- 20:02 Tip #4 – Don’t skip night time feedings
- 20:30 Why is it important to check for a good latch? Signs of a good latch
- 22:43 The BEST way to increase milk production.
- 23:55 Tip #5 – Hold the baby in a comfortable position.
- 24:29 How to hold a baby while breastfeeding
- 27:08 What is colostrum? Why is it important?
- 31:13 How can other family members support breastfeeding moms?
- 32:08 What NOT to say to a breastfeeding mom
- 33:48 Where to go for help with breastfeeding problems
Links to Helpful Resources on Breastfeeding
Here are links to more helpful resources on breastfeeding.
This is an excellent, reliable and very practical toolkit to help moms who want to breastfeed after returning to work. This is based on research and scientific evidence.
Here are links to the researches we mentioned in our video on breastfeeding:
More Resources For You:
- Take the guesswork out of caring for your baby, with tools and resources specially created for you. Check out our courses on baby care and development HERE!
- Develop your baby or toddler’s speech and language skills WITHOUT the stress and overwhelm! Get Toddler Talking by Dr. Victoria Ang-Nolasco today!